[arch-general] Optimizing boot

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 06:46:03 EDT 2014

On 30-04-2014 11:28, Paul Gideon Dann wrote:

> Since we're on the topic, does anyone have a clue how I can find out why systemd hangs for
> ages when I shut down or reboot? The display server is shut down, I'm placed in a TTY with a
> "shutting-down" message, but then it looks like it's waiting for something that never happens,
> and then I think I see something flash past about a watchdog timeout before it proceeds. If I
> could get rid of that hanging step, it would save me waiting 60 seconds or however long each
> time I reboot (which is infrequently enough that it's only been a mild annoyance so far).
>
> What's the correct way to diagnose this? I don't think systemd-analyze can handle
> shutdown. Could this be an initrd thing?

Check the output of journalctl and look for lines with timeout (use grep
-i timeout).

I've experienced this before (90 seconds timeout) and I found out that
some systemd service related to the user session was not terminating,
and systemd waits for it until the timeout elapses.

This happened to me when I had the rootfs in a f2fs partition, ext4 and
btrfs don't seem to trigger this problem. The workaround I used at the
time was to extend the unit file by explicitly adding a shorter timeout
10~15s.

--
Mauro Santos