[arch-general] qemu-vm : access to KVM kernel denied

arnaud gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 11:00:44 EDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 2:48 PM, Leonid Isaev <lisaev at umail.iu.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 11:30:38AM +0200, arnaud gaboury wrote:
>> I found my entries about this topic, but no clear answer.
>>
>> As user, I want to install a VM with virt-install.
>> $ virt-install  --connect qemu:///system  --LONG list of options
>>
>> Error : could not access KVM kernel module: permission denied. Running
>> the above command as root returns the same.
>>
>> My configuration:
>> martinus at gerbillous ➤➤ ~ % uname -r
>> 3.16.1-1-ARCH
>> martinus at gerbillous ➤➤ ~ % ls -al /dev/kvm
>> crw-rw----+ 1 root kvm 10, 232 Aug 17 11:05 /dev/kvm
>> martinus at gerbillous ➤➤ ~ % groups martinus
>> adm wheel video audio kalu libvirt qemu kvm martinus
>
> You don't need to be in 'kvm' group to use /dev/kvm. What does 'getfacl
> /dev/kvm' say? Can you run a plain qemu-system-<something>?

martinus at gerbillous ➤➤ ~ % getfacl /dev/kvm
# file: dev/kvm
# owner: root
# group: kvm
user::rw-
user:martinus:rw-
group::rw-
mask::rw-
other::---

>From man virt-install :
--------------
         qemu:///system
             For creating KVM and QEMU guests to be run by the system libvirtd
             instance.  This is the default mode that virt-manager uses, and
             what most KVM users want.

         qemu:///session
             For creating KVM and QEMU guests for libvirtd running as the
             regular user.

$ >> $ virt-install  --connect qemu:///session

works perfectly. I am not fully sure it is the right way, but now, as
a regular user, I can install VM and there is no complains about
permission denied.