[arch-general] POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_FULL(_DESIGN) semantics

Chrisitan Burkard watnuss at gmx.de
Mon Aug 18 05:00:16 EDT 2014

First of all: sorry for the last mail. I copy pasted the wrong email.
Needed to resend it as I sent it with the wrong mail account to the list.

@Curtis: Thanks. The hint to the manpage and the "last_full_capacity"
property did their job.

On 16.08.2014 22:11, Jakub Klinkovský wrote:
> On 15.08.14 at 12:27, Chrisitan Burkard wrote:
>> ... Another issue I have is that the POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS shows
>> 'Unknown' on AC but 'Discharging' on Battery. Do you have any
>> idea why? My guess is that i3 uses this property to show the
>> battery/AC state in i3status and because of the 'Unkown' value I
>> don't get updates on the state there.
>
> The values for POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS on my laptop are: - when running
> on battery, it is always 'Discharging' - when running on AC: -
> 'Full' for 100% - 'Unknown' for 95%-99% - 'Charging' for <95% Note
> that my battery is not getting charged if the level is between 95%
> and 99% when I plug in AC.
>
> -- jlk

You are right. I can confirm this behaviour but with different
thresholds. Because of the age of the battery a FULL is never reached.
The battery just has to get really low in order to come to its
charging status.

I just remembered a thing and would be interested what you think.

Today only arch runs on my notebook but some time ago I was using
dualboot windows, too. At that time the lenovo energy manager realized
I mainly use the notebook on AC and switched the maximum battery
capacity to around 70% (cannot recall the ecact value). I did not
switch that back to 100% before wiping windows.

-Is it possible that's (partially) the reason for the low CHARGE_FULL
value compared to the CHARGE_FULL_DESIGN value? Or to put it
different: Is it possible that the lenovos' windows energy manager
driver set CHARGE_FULL to a lower value and linux drivers cannot
overwrite this value?
-Is there a possibility to change propertys displayed in
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0 without reinstalling windows and fixing
it there?

If you have links or knowledge for me, I would be really glad as I
didn't find anything on my own.

Best regards,

Christian