[arch-general] Arch curiosity

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Wed Aug 20 09:37:02 EDT 2014

On 19 August 2014 22:44, James <ccaat at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Savyasachee Jha <savya.jha91 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> I think your curiosity about the file systems Arch supports can be
>> satisfied by this page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/File_systems
>
> Thanks for the response, but, I'm not much for top posting, unless
> that is the norm for this list? (or you are mobile_phonic?).....

Some folks are careless, others can't avoid it sometimes; but that
doesn't mean they represent the "norm" of anywhere.

> Yes, just what I was looking for. It does not mention HDFS, but your
> package repository does show support for Hadoop. I believe that Hadoop
> must run on top of HDFS.....

I believe Hadoop includes HDFS, so you can expect full functionality
by installing the package available in AUR (an unsupported repository
of build scripts of varying quality). I see some documentation is in
the wiki already. [1]

> What I was really looking for is somebody on Arch that is running
> Mesos and Spark on top of BTRFS. Possible running hadoop on top of
> mesos. I see the dev "dseg" but is there a workgroup hacking away
> at mesos and the companion apps?  I see "spark" in the packages
> but I do not see support for the scala programing language. I can
> hack my way through on these and many other packages related to
> cluster computing, but it would greatly help if there is a
> group of like minded folks on Arch? A (mesos)cluster lead?

I am not aware of such a group. Personally, I have been using a
pre-built CentOS VM for some big data simulations I got into not too
long ago, but haven't got around to the administration aspects of it.

If you are looking for a particular feature from a package, and it's
not available, get in touch with the maintainer to see if she is aware
of this missing feature. Otherwise, DIY.

If you need like-minded folks, or seek an expert on the topic, you
might want to contact the users who are maintaining these packages
(including 'dseg').

> So I'm looking for guidance as to what/how  to quickly pursue
> Mesos & spark & hadoop on top of Arch linux. That way I can
> build on top of btrfs later, unless that is what folks interested
> in distributed/cluster computing are already doing on Arch?
> (Arch) Birds of a feather on mesos et. al. ?

If you don't get any favourable responses to this call, it is up to
you to, well, DIY. Tailor this distribution to suit your needs. If it
all looks like too much work, look for a distribution that has it all
ready to go.

Arch Linux presently supports only i686 and x86_64, officially.
Anything else, you look for a community effort. There is a project for
classic ARM, which others have already pointed out. Otherwise, DIY, if
you insist.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hadoop

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1