[arch-general] 3.16.1-1 :install custom kernel failed. No packages were upgraded- depmod for a wrong kernel name

arnaud gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 06:51:21 EDT 2014

Hi,

I have been building/installing a custom kernel for some time now with
no issues. I always follow the same process:

* $ ABSROOT=. abs core/linux

* edit the PKGBUILD:
-pkgbase=linux-hortensia
uncomment #make nconfig,

* $ makepkg
load MyConfigFile, do sometimes some stuffs, save as .config, exit nconfig

* # pacman -Ud linux-hortensia-headers
# pacman -U linux-hortensia
# pacman -U linux-hortensia-docs

I decide to give a try at Nouveau:

-pkgbase=linux-nouveau
* nconfig:

Device Drivers ---> Graphics support ---> DRM ---> <M> Nouveau (nvidia) cards
                                                           Frame
buffer Devices ---> <M>Support for frame buffer devices ---> empty all

* save as .config
* # pacman -Ud linux-nouveau-headers.

---> long list of lines all in this type <---------
linux-nouveau-headers:
/usr/lib/modules/3.16.1-1-hortensia/build/sound/soc/intel/Kconfig
exists in filesystem
<------------------------>
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded

I am surprised as it is the first time I have this error.
I am expecting the new headers to be installed in
/usr/lib/modules/3.16.1-1-nouveau and NOT in the 3.16.1-1-hortensia
dir.
Why do I have again the /3.16.1-1-hortensia folder in
linux-nouveau/pkg/linux-nouveau/usr/lib/modules/3.16.1-1-hortensia,
and not a /3.6.1-1-nouveau/ folder instead?
Last, at the end of the makepkg command, I can see:
 DEPMOD  3.16.1-1-hortensia. Why not  DEPMOD  3.16.1-1-nouveau?

Did anything changed when building/installing custom kernel? Or is
there any wrong variable somewhere in the PKGBUILD?

Thank you for suggestion