[arch-general] Built packages of GCC 5

Delcypher delcypher at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 14:27:51 UTC 2014

> I am working on a nasty machine that is slow and sporadically freezes,
> which makes it unable to compile anything that takes a bit of effort. I
> would like to try GCC's development version, but it's not possible to build
> it locally. Do you know of any (unofficial) respository that offers i686
> packages of GCC 5?
>
> By the way, would there be any problems with system libs if a development
> version was installed (in place of the stable one, which is 4.9.1)?

IIRC the version of libstdc++ is tied to the GCC version so you'll
need that too. It is possible to install multiple versions of gcc side
by side ( e.g. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gcc46/ )

But I would like to suggest two alternatives.

* Have you tried using clang instead (available in "extra")?
* You could also compile the binaries on a different machine (be
careful to compile for the right architecture) and copy them to your
i686 machine