[arch-general] mutt and gnupg

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Dec 5 09:53:43 UTC 2014

It seems a recent upgrade of gnupg (I'm at 2.1.0-6) has degraded my
mutt config slightly.  I've just compared my gpg-related config of
mutt to /usr/share/doc/mutt/samples/gpg.rc and they match.  Beyond
what's found there I also have the following settings:

    set crypt_autoencrypt = no
    set crypt_autosign = yes
    set crypt_autosmime = no
    set crypt_replyencrypt = yes
    set crypt_replysign = yes
    set crypt_replysignencrypted = yes
    set crypt_use_gpgme = no
    set pgp_sign_as = 0xAB4DFBA4
    set pgp_use_gpg_agent = yes
    set smime_is_default = no

The behaviour that changed after the recent upgrade of gnupg was that
mutt started asking me for a password.  Before the upgrade it didn't,
it handed over to the gpg-agent right away.  My testing suggests that
the value of `pgp_use_gpg_agent` has no influence on mutt's behaviour
at all any more.

However, if I do set `crypt_use_gpgme` mutt hands off to the gpg-agent
right away.  However, if I set that mutt reports the following when
started:

    Using GPGME backend, although no gpg-agent is running

So, is there some way to configure mutt to go straight to the
gpg-agent, without any warning messages on startup?

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Any fool can write code that a computer can understand.  Good programmers
write code that humans can understand.
     -- Martin Fowler