[arch-general] ibus

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Fri Dec 5 15:05:00 UTC 2014

Hi Marcel, hi Rasmus :)

On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 14:34:29 +0100, Marcel Röthke wrote:
> You can remove all unneeded dependencies with the following command.
> "pacman -Qdtq | pacman -Rs -"

Some unneeded packages might be build time dependencies, I don't want
to remove and others might be needed for software I installed without a
package, even while they once were installed as a dependency, that now
isn't needed by a package anymore.

It does find 220 packages, one of them is ibus. Some might be unneeded,
but others might be needed. I guess I should remove a few packages, if
I've got time to check what they are used or not used for, but I don't
trust this command.

Total Removed Size:   1162.45 MiB / 1024 = 1.14 GiB

1 GiB is much, but doesn't matter on my machine that much.

On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 14:42:06 +0100, Rasmus Liland wrote:
> I think you can uninstall ibus safely, unless you use it for e.g.
> writing simplified chinese, then you would also need e.g. the
> ibus-sunpinyin from AUR or something similar.
>
> I'm guessing it was installed in the past on your system as a
> dependency of a AUR package where the AUR packager uses ibus to write
> his native language.

That's my thought too, because the Arch wiki mentions "You will need at
least one input method, corresponding to the language you wish to type."

I removed ibus. Restarted the computer ;). Everything still seems to be
ok. Someday I have to check 219 packages (Total Removed Size:   1155.87
MiB).

Thank you,
Ralf