[arch-general] mpv in [community] compiled against different version of ffmpeg than in [testing]

Bigby James bigby.james at crepcran.com
Fri Dec 5 21:32:50 UTC 2014

On 12/05, Savya wrote:
> I was running mpv from the terminal today, and I got an unexpected
> message:
>
> "Warning: mpv was compiled against a different version of ffmpeg than
> the shared library it is linked against. This can expose subtle ABI
> compatibility issues and can lead to misbehaviour and crashes."
>
> Installed versions of packages:
>
> [testing]/ffmpeg: 1:2.5-1
> [community]/mpv: 0.7.1-1
>
> I would request (if possible, of course), that mpv in community be
> compiled against the version of ffmpeg in [testing] and put in the
> [community-testing] repo whenever ffmpeg is in [testing].
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Cheers!
> Savya

Isn't this something that would get fixed on release? That is, wouldn't the
version of mpv in [community] be rebuilt upon the release of the new ffmpeg
version to [extra]? [community] packages are just one small step above the AUR,
while [testing] only contains individual, official packages awaiting release,
not a package plus everything that depends on it.. As I understand it, this sort
of thing is inevitable and invariable when using [testing]. I'd say contact the
TU responsible for the package and ask what the normal procedure for this is
before filing a bug report.[1] If you already filed one, it might be worth
contacting the maintainer just to see what standard practice is in these
situations.

[1]: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/mpv/

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams