[arch-general] Official policy on beta releases in mainline repos

Antonio Rojas nqn76sw at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 19:38:14 UTC 2014

Troy Engel wrote:

> I'm specifically concerned about the choice to release betas of
> freerdp into mainline and was trying to find out what the policy was
> and when it was deemed OK to release betas. (as with grub). I am not
> finding the reason for a freerdp upgrade documented to use the betas,
> a lot of us use this tool for work and can't afford to deal with the
> hits of beta software in a critical utility.
>
> thx,
> -te
>
> [1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=190317
> [2] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/42890

There are usually very specific reasons why beta packages are pushed to the
repos. For instance krecipes and krusader haven't seen a stable release for
5+ years and Sourceforge lists the betas as default download for both
projects.
As for freerdp, you can see the reason here [1]. The upstream bug that is
referenced in your second link mentions that krdc should be patched in
distributions that ship freerdp>1.1, so a feature request should be filed
against krdc in the bug tracker.

[1] https://www.archlinux.org/todo/freerdp-bump/