[arch-general] fdisk vs. gdisk for GPT partitioning

Patrick Burroughs (Celti) celticmadman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 19:40:48 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-16 19:58, Sebastiaan Lokhorst wrote:
> So, now my question: is there anyone who has had bad experiences with
> fdisk and GPT partitions, where gdisk was superior? Or any other objections
> why we should keep gdisk instructions in the Beginners' guide?

The only shortcoming I've run across is fdisk is less capable than
gdisk with hybrid MBRs and can't do GPT->MBR conversion at all. The
former is not something a Beginner's Guide user should be touching, in
my opinion; the latter may be useful for those who accidentally create
GPT disks when they need an MBR instead.

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Jakub Klinkovský <j.l.k at gmx.com> wrote:
> On 16.12.14 at 20:15, Bardur Arantsson wrote:
>> Speaking from complete ignorance... do significant numbers of people
>> still use MBR for non-obsolete platforms/machines?
>
> The Beginners' guide still applies to people with "obsolete" hardware...

I had to use MBR on a relatively recent machine because the
supposedly-UEFI firmware refused to even recognise GPT disks, let
alone boot from them. It's still relevant.

~Celti