[arch-general] fdisk vs. gdisk for GPT partitioning

Patrick Burroughs (Celti) celticmadman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 20:28:07 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Bardur Arantsson <spam at scientician.net> wrote:
> On 2014-12-16 20:40, Patrick Burroughs (Celti) wrote:
>> I had to use MBR on a relatively recent machine because the
>> supposedly-UEFI firmware refused to even recognise GPT disks, let
>> alone boot from them. It's still relevant.
>
> Interesting. Care to name-and-shame said firmware?
>
> (I don't necessarily think it influences the decision, even so. Surely
> the Beginner's Guide should be optimized for the common case rather than
> edge cases, as yours probably was?)

It was a bottom-of-the-line Hewlett-Packard mini-tower — one of the
very last models that still shipped with Windows 7 as an option. Given
how many people are still using Windows 7 and might want to upgrade to
Linux rather than (shudder) Windows 8, I don't think that's an
uncommon case at all.

~Celti