[arch-general] fdisk vs. gdisk for GPT partitioning

David J. Haines djhaines at gmx.com
Wed Dec 17 15:04:43 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 02:30:43AM +0100, Neven Sajko wrote:
> On 16 December 2014 at 20:52, David J. Haines <djhaines at gmx.com> wrote:
> > gdisk is also capable of placing new partitions at the end of a block of
> > empty space without having to do manual calcuation of the start sector.
> > I personally find this behavior invaluable.
> I'm curious why do you allocate partitions to the end of the disk. Do you
> want to be able to resize them more easily, or something else?

For rotational media, you generally want to put your more-used data on
the outside of the platters (the "beginning" of the disk from
partitioning tools' perspective) because the data density of the
platters is constant throughout, meaning that more data will pass under
the heads in a given unit of time when they're at the outside of the
platter, as opposed to the inside.

Thus, you generally want to put things like /, /var, and /home on the
outside (the beginning) and things like swap on the inside (the end),
unless swapping happens to be what you want your system to really excel
at.

--
David J. Haines
djhaines at gmx.com
0xAFB3D16D - F929 270F B7C3 78AE A741  434F A7C6 F264 AFB3 D16C