[arch-general] gnupg 2.1 not stable

"P. A. López-Valencia" vorbote at outlook.com
Wed Dec 17 16:00:23 UTC 2014

On 17/12/14 09:32, Ido Rosen wrote:

> Agreed that everything in "core" should be maximally stable.  (Also,
> following upstream stable releases rather than unstable releases fits
> just fine with Arch's philosophy of following upstream releases, since
> unstable releases are really just poorly named release candidates,
> which we don't usually follow.)

TBH, your argument is a red herring. Arch is about K.I.S.S. and
following upstream as close to current as *upstream stable releases*
allow. There have been occasions when what you propose has happened,
mostly due to the chronic lack of developer hands and time. I can recall
the headache it was to move from guile 1.8 to 2.x a little longer than a
year ago.

> Given that gpg is such a crucial core component of Arch's
> infrastructure and that gpg 2.1 is NOT stable.  Could we switch back
> to gnupg 2.0.x (stable release) and create a gnupg-modern or gnupg21
> package to track gnupg 2.1.x, which should be installable side-by-side
> with gnupg stable (perhaps with gpg21 as the binary name).

Instead, why not donate to gnupg.org so that the software is truly
stable and evolves quickly? One underpaid (and underfed!) developer
doesn't give any assurance about the future of the project and the
software itself.[1] TL;DR: gnupg's situation is such that the OpenSSL
project before the Heartbleed incident looks like a bunch of rich kids
clubbing in Ibiza.

[1] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8761896

--
Pedro Alejandro López-Valencia
http://about.me/palopezv/

Every nation gets the government it deserves. -- Joseph de Maistre