[arch-general] gnupg 2.1 not stable

"P. A. López-Valencia" vorbote at outlook.com
Wed Dec 17 17:41:10 UTC 2014

On 17/12/14 11:28, Ido Rosen wrote:
> We seem to be in agreement: 2.1.x is not yet in the set of upstream
> *stable* releases, but 2.0.x is in that set.

Not really. You missed the "as close to current".

> Therefore, Arch should follow 2.0.x until upstream has marked 2.1.x as
> stable. Someone made a mistake in upgrading to 2.1, so let's correct
> the mistake by downgrading back until it's safe, rather than leaving
> all of Arch's users at great security risk. Let's not forget that
> gnupg underlies all of Arch's security/integrity (i.e. pacman db and
> pkg signing) - it's how our users know that Arch is Alice-rch and not
> Eve-rch. IMO, downgrading is the responsible, smart (not stupid) thing
> to do, and let's not forget the last "S" in K.I.S.S... :-)

The usual practice is to wait until there is a first point release that
catches the most glaring bugs, see for example how the kernel and the
main desktop environments are updated. The first point release was
yesterday (2014-12-16) and it is already in testing. This transition
would have occurred sooner or later because the benefits outweigh the
cost of moving to the newer version---e,g., the ability to use
elliptical curve keys---, but it would've been reasonable to wait for
this first point release.

> I donated, but I do not see your name on the donation list? [0]

Do not stoop to personal attacks. Thank you.

Besides that, I never make public my acts of charity. Have you read
Matthew 6:3? Even good atheists practice it.

--
Pedro Alejandro López-Valencia
http://about.me/palopezv/

Every nation gets the government it deserves. -- Joseph de Maistre