[arch-general] gnupg 2.1 not stable

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Thu Dec 18 08:12:33 UTC 2014

Ido Rosen <ido at kernel.org> on Wed, 2014/12/17 09:03:
> From gnupg.org:
> "2.0.26 is the stable version suggested for most users,
> 2.1.1 is the brand-new modern version with support for ECC and many
> other new features,
> and 1.4.18 is the classic portable version."

Marking version 2.1 stable would include some new features like elliptic
curves. Possibly these features do include bugs and issues - that is why the
modern branch is not yet ready for every day use in enterprise distributions,
etc.

What I like about Arch Linux is its early adoption of new features,
releases, ...
For package file verification we do not rely on elliptic curves and the like.
So I think we are perfectly fine with this.

Some rough edges need to be fixed in gnupg and other software. But that is
what happens if the software is actively used by early adopters.
I did fix some problems with git test suite (that is why git 2.2.0 took
longer to enter our repositories) - now it is ready for everybody to use it
with gnupg 2.1.
--
main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/*    Chris           get my mail address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)