[arch-general] Booting ArchLinux with `initscripts` is now broken

Ciprian Dorin Craciun ciprian.craciun at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 22:13:15 UTC 2014

Hello all!

I'm in a little bit of a pickle, and I would like to ask for some help
with my particular setup.

I haven't switched to `systemd` and I'm still booting my system with
the old `initscripts` `/etc/rc.sysinit` and friends (except this all
the packages are up-to-date).  Before updating `systemd` from 216 to
217, it still worked.

However after upgrading, two things happened:
(A) the kernel modules firmware is not loaded any more;  (I know that
now the kernel automatically loads the firmware, but I'm still on
Linux 3.6.11;)
(B) `systemd-udevd` seems to get stuck while "doing it's magic" on
something like `/sys/.../cpu0`;

I've now downgraded to `systemd` 216, and marked it as ignored in
`/etc/pacman.conf`, due to the firmware loading.  (Issue (B) was
solved by just replacing `udevadm settle` with a `sleep 6s`.)

However I would be interested if someone has an idea on how to:
* fix problem (A) regarding the firmware loading;  (I'll have to dig
the documentation, but perhaps there is a tool and some
`/proc/sys/...` knob I can use...)
* find a way in which I can still have my non-systemd setup;  (I know
about `mdev`, and other `udev` replacements, but I would prefer an
`udev`-based solution just to be sure that X, or LVM, etc. don't
break;)

Thanks in advance,
Ciprian.

P.S.:  Just to be clear, I don't want to start a systemd flame war.
My reason for not using it is simple:  I already use `runit` and
custom scripts for all my services (except `udevd` and `agetty`), and
my setup relies on somewhat modified `/etc/rc.d/functions` script for
encrypted devices.