[arch-general] [arch-gen] does using tmp-rng enables tpm at all?

Javier Vasquez j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 19:45:47 UTC 2014

Hi,

Seems like on i5 and i7 chips the way to get random numbers through HW
is to use tpm-rng (intel-rng is no longer available for them).  An by
reading [1] seems like a pretty good idea.

However I have no intention to use tpm at all, neither I want any
possibility to get any one monitoring my machine, which is one of the
possible use cases with tpm.

Does one, just by using tpm to feed entropy, open any door on linux
for any other tpm functionality?  Or is it totally safe to use
tpm-rng?

Thanks,

--
Javier