[arch-general] mkinitcpio runs before linux-headers{, -lts} is installed

Ido Rosen ido at kernel.org
Sun Dec 28 23:27:15 UTC 2014

Hi,
  Currently, mkinitcpio runs before the correct version of
linux-headers is installed, since linux gets upgraded before
linux-headers gets upgraded.

The reason this is a problem for me is that it interferes with dkms,
nvidia, vboxguest, and other mkinitcpio install/hook scripts that need
the linux-headers-X version to match the linux-X version.

Currently, I have a custom kernel package (let's call it linux-ido),
and linux-ido has linux-headers-ido in it's depends array, so that
linux-headers-ido gets installed before linux-ido.  (I do this in my
kernel's PKGBUILD.)  For linux and linux-lts PKGBUILDs,
linux-headers{,-lts} isn't a mandatory dependency, nor should it be.
However, if it is installed, it  should be upgraded first so that dkms
and any other mkinitcpio hooks that require linux-header{,-lts} can
work without requiring that the user rerun mkinitcpio manually after
linux-headers is installed...

Not sure what the best way to accomplish this would be?

Ido