[arch-general] makepkg as root

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 16:29:07 UTC 2014

On 12/30/14, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
> I just noticed that `makepkg` no longer accepts '--asroot', does that
> mean there now is no way to convince `makepkg` to build despite being
> run as root?
>
> /M
>
> P.S.  I am fully aware of the problems with building as root, but as I'm
> only building packages I'm myself creating, and doing it in a docker
> image, I feel I can live with the dangers... especially when it saves
> me some work in setting up docker images.
>
> --
> Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
> email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org
> twitter: magthe               http://therning.org/magnus
>
> What gets measured, gets done.
>      -- Tom Peters

Building as root was disabled due to other changes.[1]

It seems your use-case was either not anticipated or ignored.
But you aren't the only one who got inconvenienced. Someone in the
comments is building packages in a chroot on android which apparently
has issues with fakeroot. Allan McRae suggested recompiling fakeroot
with different options; I imagine if there was some way to trick
makepkg into running as root, he'd've suggested that instead.

[1] http://allanmcrae.com/2014/12/pacman-4-2-released/

-- Eli Schwartz