[arch-general] No user sound - only root has access alsamixer on virtualbox?

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Sat Feb 1 23:43:32 EST 2014

On 02/02/2014 05:23 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 02/01/2014 08:54 PM, Armin K. wrote:
>> Seems like you installed pulseaudio but you aren't running it.
>> pulseaudio usually runs as normal user and not as root user - that's why
>> root uses "raw alsa", and normal user uses "alsa through pulseaudio".
>
> Hmm.. You are correct. But installing pulseaudio-alsa which provides
> /etc/asound.conf:
>
> # Use PulseAudio by default
> pcm.!default {
>   type pulse
>   fallback "sysdefault"
>   hint {
>     show on
>     description "Default ALSA Output (currently PulseAudio Sound Server)"
>   }
> }
>
> ctl.!default {
>   type pulse
>   fallback "sysdefault"
> }
>
> Has always taken care of this automatically before. However, this is the first
> build of Trinity on Arch that does not rely on hal, so there may be more
> required to get sound going for normal users. I have started pulseaudio, but as
> of yet, I cannot get sound configured and working. Sound has always been tricky
> when it is not working. Here, apparently root works just fine using "raw alsa",
> but then what to do for the users. I'll keep picking around, if you have any
> other suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

Well, pulseaudio-alsa is installed by default with pulseaudio iirc, so
you'll always get that. pulseaudio daemon is started by a startup file
in /etc/xdg/autostart, but I believe it can be dbus activated when
something requests it - yet you still need to have a valid dbus session
in either cases - be it dbus-launch-ed one or (not really sure 'bout
this one) the one started with systemd user session.

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.