[arch-general] How to reboot remotely without hanging ssh session?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Feb 6 19:47:25 EST 2014

On 02/06/2014 09:43 AM, Aaron Bull Schaefer wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
>> I had the same problem with remote poweroff some months ago.
>> The solution I used was to create a delayed systemd target.
>

> That's exactly what I ended up doing as well when building Arch
> virtual machines for Vagrant [1].
>
> [1] https://github.com/elasticdog/packer-arch/commit/6f747f94258b35f74c4fccb11c066f2933de5dd7

Thanks for everyone's response.

  All good points, there isn't any need for an immediate reboot, and my point
wasn't to complain about the behavior. As I try and make friends with systemd, I
like to learn why things do what they do. The poweroff.timer solution is
attractive and I like the (subshell) approach (fast, simple and readily
available after kernel updates). I don't pretend to understand all the
nitty-gritty that plays into difficulty ironing out ordering between
systemd-user-sessions.service and network.target processing, but slowly the
basics are sinking in.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.