[arch-general] "Automatic" upgrade

Ismael Bouya ismael.bouya at normalesup.org
Tue Feb 11 20:05:46 EST 2014

(Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 07:00:41PM +0100) Rodrigo Rivas :
> My guess here is that this "secure" network is full of non-upgraded
> (Windows?) machines, and security is attained exclusively by network
> isolation.

No they are all on linux. The problem here is that it creates a lot of
problem for work: outdated browser (some websites unaccessible), outdated
bash and programs (Hard to believe, but they have evolved a lot!!). We must
do everything by ourselves, hence the "hidden" machine: to handle backup of
our datas since he doesn't do it properly (last year his backup/nfs server
failed and we stayed a few months with an inconsistently rebuilt home, and
the "emergency solution" went to break also afterwards and...)

> So my advice to the OP is to play safe and not to program any kind of
> inbound tunnel. That could end in disaster and you would be responsible!
> Just limit the access to your mole's handmade tunned, or play by the rules
> and not upgrade (ug!).

Hum hum... I'm still hesitating on what exactly I will do, but it won't
stay like that...

Anyway, thanks all for all the advices!
--
Ismael