[arch-general] Systemd email notifications

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 10:29:51 EST 2014

On Thursday 13 Feb 2014 16:11:56 Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 13.02.2014 16:05, schrieb Rodrigo Rivas:
> > Ok... I'll take the chance to practice my DBus abilities...
> > It is a bit long, but it kind of works. Just replace the print() call
> > with your favourite sendmail function and you'll get a notification
> > every time any of the units specified in the command line changes
> > status.
>
> This isn't too long and it actually seems to work fine.
>
> I guess what Paul actually wants is a system where you would subscribe
> to all services, not just some of them. This should be possible as well
> with the API.

Yeah, though actually I'm just really surprised that, given the incredible administrative
benefits of systemd, there isn't currently anything that leverages it for actual process
monitoring and reporting.  As far as I can tell, systemd is also not yet able to
automatically restart bloated or stale services (e.g. worker instances that may go
haywire).  Hopefully these things will come along now that "systemd --user" is maturing.

I'm actually pretty excited about user-systemd.  I'm implementing monitoring for long-
running Ruby processes for a Rails app, and although the go-to tool for this in the Ruby
world is "god", I've found it really icky and brittle, and really wish I could replace it with
systemd, but for now I will make my peace.

Paul