[arch-general] New Installation

Chester Wisniewski chetw at zuzax.com
Sun Feb 16 16:20:33 EST 2014

Hi Toyam,

You need to create a special partition to install GRUB2 on GPT without
UEFI. See the wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#GUID_Partition_Table_.28GPT.29_specific_instructions

Create a 1 MB partition, mark it type ef02 (in gdisk) and do not format
it. When you run grub-install it will then copy some image files there
required for GPT booting when UEFI isn't present. The wiki walks you
through the details, don't worry about the 1007KB part and errors about
partition alignment, just make a 1 meg partition right at the front of
the disk and it will work fine.

Chester