[arch-general] netctl provides wifi-menu which is unusable

Bigby James anoknusa at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 22:17:34 EST 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 08:56:34PM -0600, Garrett Hopper wrote:
> This would be great. It's always annoyed me that it's sitting there
> unusable.

I don't usually play this card, but netcl takes up 7 kilobytes of disk
space---an infinitesimal amount relative to many core *NIX utils---and only runs
when executed by a user. Yes, I know that coreutils gets used a whole lot more
than wifi-menu, but still... How much simpler can you get in this case? You
could ditch netctl entirely and just use wpa_supplicant directly, provided
you're not bothered by a wifi connection program that includes an interactive
shell you may never use.

As for dialog, If it is a dependency for netclt that's not explicitly declared,
then a bug report should be filed (if one isn't already; there's a big systemd
update coming not long from now, so netctl may be getting updated soon as well
and the devs may already be on this).