[arch-general] Default value of "j" in makeflags of makepkg.conf

Martin S. Weber Ephaeton at gmx.net
Fri Jan 3 10:24:08 EST 2014

On Sat, Jan 04, 2014 at 01:07:47AM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 04/01/14 01:03, Martin S. Weber wrote:
> >>
> >> So, we keep repeating ourselves.
> >>
> >> There is the !makeflags option for PKGBUILDs to work around this problem
> >> (which you would know if you read the thread). If a package is broken
> >> with -j, this option helps.
> >>

> > netbsd / pkgsrc did switch to a more concurrent default for $MAKE_JOBS.
> >
> > MAKE_JOBS_SAFE=no is a way to turn it off.
> >
> > In current 'stable' pkgsrc, 590 / 11862 packages have it set (to no,
> > i.e., not parallel build safe).
> >
> > Each predates someone running into the pkg not building for them while
> > it built for others.
> >
> > You wanna find those inexplicably not building on some machines manually,
> > again?
> >
> > Have fun.
> >

> Why would it need done manually?   You have already found us a list!

because for each new occurrence, it will have to be determined manually:
concurrency brings non-determinism with it. Many of these pkgs built
just fine (tm) for developers a, b and d (not only on, but also on multi-core
and/or SMP machines) while it didn't for devs c, f, g, and, much worse,
for users u, y and z.

I mean, feel free to learn the sane default for (said 590) pkgs from pkgsrc,
or consider the process that spans from 2007 until now, where pkgs still are
flagged MAKE_JOBS_SAFE after the first user has run into them not building.

Also, not each pacman pkg has a 1:1 mirror candidate in pkgsrc.

IMHO, should make you pause and (re)consider for a moment.

Kind Regards,
-Martin