[arch-general] MAKEFLAGS remodelation

Mark Lee mark at markelee.com
Sun Jan 5 13:12:36 EST 2014

On Sun, 2014-01-05 at 18:59 +0100, Kalrish Bäakjen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm sorry for the confusion. A little research reveals that make
> automatically recognises the MAKEFLAGS environmental variable. (I didn't
> know it, and I used to add $MAKEFLAGS to each make invocation.)
>
> I agree that a change in makepkg.conf should reflect a change in the
> base-devel group. However, I think that a separate JOBS variable would be
> more appropiated, and would also work with other build systems if they
> eventually get support.
>
> $ grep JOBS /etc/makepkg.conf
> JOBS=4
> MAKEFLAGS="-j $JOBS"
> $ grep make PKGBUILD
> make # No change here
> $ grep strange-build-system PKGBUILD
> strange --parallel=$JOBS
>
> Thanks,
> Kalrish
>
> P.S.: at least with community/mpv, it seems that Waf is able to bootstrap
> itself, so it's not necessary to install it to build the mentioned package.

Salutations,

For mpv, waf is installed to build the package (it's in the makedepends
array). It's not needed to run the program though.

I think what your recommendation boils down to is adding a jobs string
that specified how many jobs to run independent of the compiler. It
would be difficult to balance the unique flags of different compilers
with a universal flag in makepkg.conf. That may be opening a can of
worms (if compilers use different flags to specify the threading).

Regards,
Mark

--
Mark Lee <mark at markeelee.com>