[arch-general] Package management

Kalrish Bäakjen kalrish.antrax at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 15:09:09 EST 2014

Well, my example was about a major API change. Another example would be
Python: we have version 2 and version 3, and both are used. If we had
switched to a Python3-only bleeding-edge setup, we would have ended up with
a big breakage. As we needed both, we renamed the old Python to make it
able to coexist with the newer version.

What I proposed is a scheme in which makepkg, after running package() but
before packaging, did something like this:
for P in "${pkgdir}/usr/bin"/* ; do mv "$P" "$P-${pkgver}" ; done
Although it could break things (e.g.: program calling another program; oh,
where is it?), it would allow to have as many versions of the same package
as we wanted. (It would probably be better to adjust the paths via
'configure'.)

This can be useful in some cases. Aside from the Python example, I could
have multiple X servers and seamlessly benchmark each; I could also have
two versions of the same library if both are needed.

Regards,
Kalrish