[arch-general] Package management

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 6 02:10:40 EST 2014

On 6 January 2014 09:26, Kalrish Bäakjen <kalrish.antrax at gmail.com> wrote:
> Note, however, that the model I propose wouldn't introduce many changes.

You say that, but you also say this:

> There are also directories in /usr/lib that should be renamed.

To me, that by itself implies 'many changes'. Forgive me if I
misunderstood the context, though.

> Please note that outdated versions would NOT be held in official
> repositories. However, as official PKGBUILDs are in an SVN tree, an user
> could checkout the desired version and build it for himself/herself (if I
> have understood it correctly).

There is more to it than that -- we'd have to keep full sources [1]
for every version we support. While that's not anything new for binary
distributions, it does affect our resources. However, I do support
innovations to prevent breakages.

Whatever it is, I don't think Judd envisioned slotted installs when he
conceived Arch Linux. In fact, Arch was made to move away from such
complexities, but that's only my interpretation of its history and
purpose.

Caveat: I used Gentoo before Arch, not for long but long enough, in 2006/7.

[1] ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/sources

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1