[arch-general] Ruby gem packages in Arch

Alfredo Palhares masterkorp at masterkorp.net
Mon Jan 13 05:38:57 EST 2014

I agree with you, some ruby-packages just are a royal pain in the arse to maintain.
Sometimes i wish I just when with rbenv[1] and call it a day. I still have some packages
that use the old naming convention.

But like you said the worst scenerio is to deal with multiple versions, like one fact you need
to update an gem, but packages that depend on it need an older version of it, so now you have to
have 2 versions of that gem.

It can be done, we just need more man power to put quality packages.

Also, I would like to have a tool to check the AUR packages version agains the rubygems so we can
them more easily updated, has anyone written such a script ?

[1] https://github.com/sstephenson/rbenv

--
Regards,
Alfredo Palhares