[arch-general] Is out of source building still recommended with cmake in PKGBUILD scripts

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Jan 14 16:26:18 EST 2014

All,

  Updating PKGBUILDs as specified in VCS_PKGBUILD_Guidelines, I have a svn based
source that builds with cmake. In the past I have forced out of source building
for all cmake built packages. e.g.:

build() {

  cd $srcdir
  msg "Creating out-of-source build directory: ${srcdir}/${_builddir}"
  mkdir -p build
  cd build

  msg "Starting cmake..."
  cmake ${srcdir}/blah \
  <snip>
  msg "Building - $pkgname..."
  make

}

  In https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VCS_PKGBUILD_Guidelines it specifies
that "The local repo is left untouched, thus invalidating the need for a -build
directory."

  Am I reading this correctly to say - "creating a separate out-of-source build
directory is no longer required -- even for cmake built packages?" Or am I just
confused again...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.