[arch-general] Is out of source building still recommended with cmake in PKGBUILD scripts

Maxime Gauduin alucryd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 17:17:53 EST 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 10:58 PM, David C. Rankin <
drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/14/2014 03:26 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> >   Am I reading this correctly to say - "creating a separate
> out-of-source build
> > directory is no longer required -- even for cmake built packages?" Or am
> I just
> > confused again...
>
> WOW,
>
>   I confirmed on a smaller build that with VCS packages no longer require
> an
> out-of-source build with cmake.
>
>   What about normal packages built with cmake. Is an out-of-source build
> directory still required?
>
> --
> David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

It is indeed no longer required with VCS sources, and has never been with
tarballs since those are extracted every time you run makepkg so files you
might have changed are overwritten anyway. However I sometimes find useful
to keep doing that with cmake when you need to figure out why sth won't
build, because that way files generated by cmake at build time are in a
separate dir.

Cheers,
--
Maxime