[arch-general] Is there a burning tool able to replace K3b?

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Tue Jan 21 06:28:35 EST 2014

Simon Hanna <simon.hanna at jesus.de> wrote:

> you can check the list of applications in the wiki [1]
> No, you are not the only one who doesn't like GNOME, KDE, XFCE, ...
> have you tried i3?
> about replacement software:
> try using command line tools, just search the link below for all sorts of
> applications...
>
> cheers,
> simon
>
> [1]:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_Applications#CD.2FDVD_burning_tools

In general, it depends on what people like to do...

xcdroast needs GNOME libraries and did not evolve since a while, but I added
support for hidden audio tracks, when I added support for hidden tracks to
cdrtools in January 2010.

In general, one big problem is that _all_ GUIs for UNIX seem to have stopped
development with respect to adding new features to support related features
from cdrtools. It seems that Debian was very successfull when they started to
attack cdrtools 10 years ago.

I use cdrtools from command line...

k3b may be the most actively developed GUI (with respect to features) besides
the russion GUI that only works on Win-DOS.

GUIs:

k3b		- no new version since January 2011

xcdroast	- no new version since February 2010

brasero		- insists in running as root thus insecure (GUIs should not have
		  enhanced privileges) even though cdrtools manage priv separation
		  Seems to have less features than xcdroast

writing software:

cdrkit 		- > 100 open bugs, no development since May 2007
cdrdao		- no bugfix since 2009, no development since May 2005
dvd+rw-tools	- no bugfix since Mach 2008, no development since Jan 2007
cdrskin		- not ready for general use (no UDF, no DVD-video, audio deficient)
cdrtools	- last release: yesterday ;-)

The question in general is: are people still interested in optical disks?

Jörg