[arch-general] Deploy Arch linux to many virtual machines

Shridhar Daithankar ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Thu Jan 23 22:27:00 EST 2014

On Friday, January 24, 2014 08:05:26 AM Кравец Роман wrote:
> Dear Shridhar,
>
> I want set specified network setting and root password to each new machines.
> My script get setting over HTTP JSON request and get setting from
> master machine.

create the appliance such that

1. it gets on network via dhcp, no name supplied
2. on first boot, contacts a central server to register itself
3. has pre-configured ssh keys in root account for certain external accounts
4. on registration, it triggers a bot, that ssh's into the new machine and
customize the setting
5. reboot

Should work no? I am pretty sure there are some automation frameworks like
salt/puppet already handle this?

real question is what does pxe boot/network install gives you that an
appliance doesn't. Whats the distinguishing factor between two such VM
instances, how do you set and discover it?
--
Regards
 Shridhar