[arch-general] Uninstalling single package from i686 archroot without cleaning

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Jan 28 16:13:17 EST 2014

All,

  The i686 archroot on the x86_64 box worked perfectly building i686 TDE.
However, as I tweak packages, I need to 'uninstall' a package from the rw-layer
without cleaning the entire archroot. Since this is i686 on a x86_64 box how do
I properly chroot the archroot so that I can run pacman -R package name?

  Can I somehow:

    mount --bind some_dev $CHROOT/dev
    mount -t proc none $CHROOT/proc
    mount -t sysfs none $CHROOT/sys
    cd $CHROOT
    some_chroot_cmd

  So that the i686 system will be functional enough to remove a package? I have
seen the Arch64_FAQ page discussing the linux32 wrapper working with i686
chroots created by installing with i686 ISO "quickinstall", but this setup is
just an i686 archroot. (will it work?)

  I want to avoid cleaning the archroot or deleting and recreating a new one
just to test minor changes to package content adjustments due the setup
requiring several hundred dependencies and packages to rebuild.

  What say the experts?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.