[arch-general] Can't SSH into Arch VM until login screen is viewed

Ben Booth benwbooth at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 12:59:48 EDT 2014

I have a weird issue I’m trying to figure out with Arch and SystemD, and I wonder if anyone here has run into this issue:

I’m running ArchLinux as a Xen VM. Every time I reboot the system, I can no longer ping it or access it via SSH. However, if I go into the XenCenter UI and click the “Console” tab to view the VM’s login screen, all of a sudden SSH and ping works again. It’s as if systemd is waiting for the login screen to be viewed before it allows SSH to work. Is this some kind of systemd socket-activated functionality related to the getty service? How can I prevent this so that I can log in via SSH after reboot without having to run the XenCenter UI?

Thanks,
Ben Booth