[arch-general] Gummiboot and EFISTUB booting irregularities

Murari murari.ksr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 12:31:07 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I couldn't find a better way of phrasing this as I'm not quite sure what
the problem is or how to debug this. I have Arch with the 3.15.1-1 kernel
installed on an HP laptop (intel motherboard), booting using gummiboot and
the EFISTUB loader. When I start my laptop (or restart it) and select the
Arch Linux entry in the gummiboot menu, I sometimes only see a blank screen
instead of any error messages or any of the usual boot text. Ctrl+Alt+Del
reboots my laptop. Seemingly at random, if I try again at this point, Arch
sometimes boots and sometimes doesn't. Journalctl does not list any entries
at all for the failed boot attempts. Can anyone suggest any ways of
debugging/solving this?

Thanks!