[arch-general] Java 8

Guillaume ALAUX guillaume at archlinux.org
Thu Jul 10 15:25:42 EDT 2014

On 5 June 2014 02:02, Boyan Ding <stu_dby at 126.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2014-06-04 at 23:20 +0200, Guillaume ALAUX wrote:
> > On 2 June 2014 03:21, Boyan Ding <stu_dby at 126.com> wrote:
> > > Hi Guillaume,
> > > I really appreciate your work, but are the versioning of the openjdk8*
> > > packages correct? They should be 8.u0_b132 or simply 8.u0 instead of
> > > 8.u132...
> > >
> > > By the way I also made a PKGBUILD [1] based on yours and it's currently
> > > on 8u5. The prebuilt packages are available on the OBS [2]. It added
> > > some packages from Fedora to use system libs. No idea whether they fit
> > > Arch.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Boyan Ding
> > >
> > > [1] https://github.com/dboyan/openjdk8-noicedtea
> > > [2]
> > > http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/dboyan:/openjdk8/Arch_Extra/
> > >

> > Hi Boyan,
> >
> > The versionning scheme shojuld be as you say. I must have missed that.
> >
> > Thank you very much for sharing this. I have included your versionning
> > scheme and use of upstream tarball in my PKGBUILD.
> >
> > Up to date packages are available on the repo [0].
> >
> > Also you might be interested in the very last version of the sources
> > [1] (branch "with-meta" uses meta JDK packages as explained earlier on
> > this thread. Be careful though, branch master is not exactly up to
> > date). I did not use patches for system libs, I will "stay vanilla"
> > until IcedTea take care of it.
> Oh, that's great.
>

> > Just out of curiosity: are you officially affiliated with OpenSuse?
> No, I'm not. Actually I got to know OBS not long ago and was just
> curious about it.
>
> Cheers,
> Boyan Ding
>

> > [0] http://pkgbuild.com/~guillaume/repos/jdk
> > [1] https://github.com/galaux/java8-openjdk/tree/with-meta

Hello again,

With help from Heftig, I now have several sets of Java environments
packages for OpenJDK 7 and OpenJDK 8 (and also Oracle JRE/JDK 8 just
as a proof of concept). These are available on this private repo [0]
(did not build the i686).

I also wrote this wiki section in order to give some insight [1].

Before pushing it to [testing], I would love some feedback. Anyone
interested in testing these packages is welcome to give feedback. To
do so, just add these to your pacman.conf:

    [galaux_jdk]
    Server = http://pkgbuild.com/~guillaume/repos/jdk/$arch

Does the install runs OK? Is your "JRE" and "JDK" fully functionnal
after install? Are you able to switch from install to another?
Suggestions etc…

[0] http://pkgbuild.com/~guillaume/repos/jdk/
[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Java#Multiple_official_Java_environments