[arch-general] Change installation from 64-bit to 32-bit

Bigby James bigby.james at crepcran.com
Thu Jul 10 23:01:19 EDT 2014

On 07/11, Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I installed 64-bit arch on a low memory laptop (1G) not thinking about the
> higher memory requirement.
>
> Now I wonder, whether I can approach to change it by changing the pacman.conf
> entry
>
> Architecture = auto
> Architecture = i686
>
> and reinstall all explicitly installed packages.
>
> I feel like it should work.
>
> Any "don't do that"s, "go for it"s, "I did it"s out there :o)).
> --
> Friedrich

I'm certainly no expert on how GNU/Linux systems are put together, but it seems
to me that in the process of replacing all 64-bit libraries with their 32-bit
equivalents, the currently running 64-bit system will try to use llibraries that
you've just deleted, and so will crash during the process. If that happens,
you'll be reinstalling anyway. There is a way to get a 32-bit clone of your
current system up and running very quickly:

1. Back up any sensitive data, including configuration files.
2. Follow the instructions on the wiki for creating a list of packages installed
   from the official repositories. [1] Make sure to keep that list with your
   backups.
3. Format the disks and install a 32-bit build of Arch following the restoration
   instructions from that same wiki page.
4. Restore your backups.

[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_tips#Backing_up_and_retrieving_a_list_of_installed_packages

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams