[arch-general] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: gparted cant take root priviliges

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sun Jul 13 06:01:24 EDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-07-13 at 11:26 +0200, Guus Snijders wrote:
> Op 13 jul. 2014 10:12 schreef "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com>
> het volgende:
> > On Fri, 2014-07-11 at 16:57 +0200, Guus Snijders wrote:
> > > I haven't tested it, but xhost seems a bit superfluous in combination
> > > with gksudo. Doesn't gksudo take care of setting the X auth itself?
> >
> > It doesn't.
> >
> > [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ gksudo -u chuser qupzilla
> > [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ xhost + ; gksudo -u chuser qupzilla
> > access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
> > QupZilla: 0 extensions loaded
> > [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ xhost -
> > access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
>
> Ok, so if you use gksudo and then launch an xterm, you get an display
> error? Sounds a bit odd, for a gui to sudo...
> (access control is more then just enabled/disabled ;-) ).

You can use gksudo to launch xterm.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ gksudo xterm

Does open xterm with a root prompt.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ gksudo -u chuser xterm

Doesn't open xterm, no display error or any other output appears.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ xhost + ; gksudo -u chuser xterm

While running a X session by the user "rocketmouse" this will open xterm
with a prompt for the user "chuser".

Instead of xhost + you're free to use xhost a little bit smarter than I
do.