[arch-general] yaourt - tmpfs error: No space left on device

Thiago Barroso Perrotta thiagoperrotta95 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 14:41:57 EDT 2014

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 21:40:20 +0200
Csányi Pál <csanyipal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install icecat with yaourt but get always error: No
> space left on device.
>
> $ df -H
> Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda3        66G   38G   26G  60% /
> tmpfs           3.2G     0  3.2G   0% /dev/shm
> tmpfs           3.2G     0  3.2G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
> tmpfs           3.2G  3.2G  160k 100% /tmp
> tmpfs           627M  4.1k  627M   1% /run/user/1000
>
> I have installed my arch linux on one partition only, on /dev/sda3.
>
> I tried to install icecat several times, moreover after a reboot too,
> but always get this error message.
>
> I tried also to setup yaourt and makepkg:
> /etc/yaourtrc
> TMPDIR="/tmp"
>
> /etc/makepkg.conf
> BUILDDIR=/tmp/makepkg
>
> Still get the above error.
> What can I do to solve this problem?

The problem is icecat takes up much RAM space, so the build process is
interrupted. I've built this package once and had the same issues as
you. Simplest solution is to set BUILDDIR to a (existing) directory in
your hard disk (not in the RAM).

For example,

$ BUILDDIR=/home/myself/build makepkg -s

I believe yaourt honors the BUILDDIR environment variable, if you
insist in using it. If not, search for a tmp option in its man page.