[arch-general] makepkg.conf CFLAGS

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 07:11:06 EDT 2014

On 02/06/14 06:58 AM, Martti Kühne wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 2:03 PM, Yamakaky <yamakaky at yamaworld.fr> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I just discovered the gcc option march=native. It enables all the
>> local-supported optimizations, without downsides except the non-portability
>> of the binaries. Is there a reason why it isn't enabled by default, as cross
>> platform compilation isn't used by most of the users (I think) ?
>>
>> Yamakaky
>

> Cross platform compilation is a requirement for the most important of
> makepkg's users, namely our package maintainers...
>
> cheers!
> mar77i

The official packages are built in a clean container with the makepkg
configuration files in the devtools package. In the past, portability
issue would have been a factor. I do think the status quo of having it
match the devtools flags is perfectly fine, as it's trivial to replace
`-march=x86_64 -mtune=generic` with `-march=native`.