[arch-general] makepkg.conf CFLAGS

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 08:29:12 EDT 2014

On 02/06/14 07:24 AM, Martti Kühne wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Daniel Micay <danielmicay at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The official packages are built in a clean container with the makepkg
>> configuration files in the devtools package. In the past, portability
>> issue would have been a factor. I do think the status quo of having it
>> match the devtools flags is perfectly fine, as it's trivial to replace
>> `-march=x86_64 -mtune=generic` with `-march=native`.
>
> That's pretty cool, actually. Thanks for the update. Meanwhile you
> didn't make clear why don't you side with OP after justifying his
> point?
>
> cheers!
> mar77i

Generating efficient code for the local machine by default makes sense
and doesn't get in the way of building truly portable packages with
devtools. However, I'm sure there are users who build packages without
devtools and then expect it to be portable and changing the default is
bound to lead to noise on the bug tracker.

Arch is primarily a binary distribution, and anyone rebuilding some set
of packages with ABS to eek out a bit of extra performance is aware that
the default compiler flags need to be changed. It's not going to make a
difference for 99% of Arch users, and for *most* (but not all) packages
the performance gain is negligible.