[arch-general] Kernel updated to 3.14.5-1. Now my Lenovo IdeaPad hangs on boot...

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 11:16:31 EDT 2014

Hi

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 8:05 AM, Manuel Reimer
<Manuel.Spam at nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use "gummiboot" to boot my Notebook. So far all kernel updates worked well
> and I never got any problems, but for some reason the update to 3.14.5 now
> causes my system to no longer boot up.
>
> Can someone help me to find the reason for the problem and to get my
> Notebook to boot up again?

To recover your machine:
1) Boot from Arch ISO. I always have an USB pan with Arch image and
found it useful for emergency cases.
2) Find your system partitions. Use 'lsblk' for this
3) mount your system partition, e.g. 'mkdir system; mount /dev/sda1 system'
4) arch-chroot into your system: 'arch-chroot system'
5) fix your system e.g. downgrade kernel to previous version 'downgrade linux'
6) reboot and enjoy