[arch-general] Network configuration

Bigby James bigby.james at crepcran.com
Fri Jun 13 10:57:11 EDT 2014

On 06/13, Yamakaky wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I write you this mail because I'm a bit lost between all these network
> configuration tools available :
>
>  - systemd-networkd
>  - dhcpcd service
>  - netctl
>  - wpa_supplicant
>  - NetworkManager/wicd
>
> There is two profiles I use now : a laptop (wifi auto-discover and connect
> with gui tray and easy to add network, ethernet auto-connect) and a
> raspberry py server (low ressources, ethernet only, dhcp configured, config
> not often changed). Actually, I use nm on my laptop (it's much much better
> than wicd) and dhcpcd on my raspberry pi. What would you use and why ?

This is a matter of personal choice, as each one offers different interfaces and
features. From my experience wpa_supplicant connects to wifi networks much faster
on its own. dhcpcd automatically checks wpa_supplicant settings on start-up, so
simply running dhcpcd logs me into my home account. In that sense I don't "use"
a network manager at all; configuration amounts to sticking a file containing
the ESSID and passphrase for my home network in /etc/wpa_supplicant/, and it just
works. For connections away from home, I use wpa_supplicant directly from
the command line. NM, wicd and netctl are basically profile managers; they don't
connect to a network on their own.

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams