[arch-general] Trust This Computer?

John WH Smith jwhsmith at englandmail.com
Mon Jun 30 19:24:13 EDT 2014

On 01/07/14 00:12, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-06-30 at 18:22 -0400, Hunter Jozwiak wrote:
>> Hi all. I've got an iPod touch fifth generation, iOS 7.1, and I am
>> trying to mount it to my Arch Linux box so I can get all the music off
>> it. However, when I connect the cable, I get an alert from the iPod
>> asking if I trust the computer. I tell it trust, and the computer,
>> running Gnome, says the iPod is locked by a passcode, which is not
>> true. I did install libimobiledevice and gvfs and that didn't help.
>> Any help or pointing in the right direction is very much appreciated.
> That reminds me that I forgot to mark a thread as solved, I opened a
> while ago. I run iTunes on XP on a Vbox Arch Host. I needed to update XP
> from SP2 to SP3 and added the last certificates update too. JFTR I've
> got an iPad2 iOS 7.1.1. Even wine doesn't work. I recommend to run a
> Windows guest.

Hello,

As the (unwilling) owner of an older iPod Touch, I also tried to use it
on my Linux machine (and no, I'm not being Arch-specific here).
I have tried many pieces of software and libraries to make the iPod and
Linux communicate, and when I say "many", I mean **many**.

libimobiledevice was one of my attempts, along with the Rythmbox iPod
features. No matter what I tried, it has always been impossible for me
to manage my iPod on a Linux machine. Just like R. Mardorf mentionned,
the only solution I have found is to use a Windows guest (XP was enough)
and share the iPod (USB > Apple iPod) device with it. This way, I was
able to install iTunes and get full control on the iPod library.

However, on Ubuntu, I remember accessing my iPod files by mounting the
device as a usual USB storage. Yet, due to the way iOS manages its files
(mp3 indexing, ...), you could hardly get anything from that...

To me (yet I may be wrong), iOS support on Linux platforms has never
been given much interest by developers communities ; in my opinion, this
situation is not likely to change any time soon. Developing in the dark
is nothing funny, as it happens to be an amazing waste of time in most
cases.

If you do find a way though, please don't hesitate to contact me.

JWHS.