[arch-general] Problems of using pacman and updating the filesystem

Cao, Renzhi (MU-Student) rcrg4 at mail.missouri.edu
Fri Mar 7 01:06:28 EST 2014

Hi,
     I get some problems about pacman. At beginning, I use pacman -Syu to update the system, and then I cannot login the system. I checked the internet, and then use CD to load the system, and use
pacman -Syu mkinitcpio systemd linux, and get the following information:
(133/133) checking for file conflicts              [######################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
filesystem: /bin exists in filesystem
filesystem: /sbin exists in filesystem
filesystem: /usr/sbin exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

After this, I use the following command to update the system:
pacman -Syu --ignore filesystem,bash
pacman -S bash

and then reboot, get the following information:

ERROR: root device mounted successfully, but /sbin/init does not exist.
Bailing out, you are on your own. Good luck.
Sh: cannot access tty: job control turned off.

?

I really appreciate if anyone can help me to solve this problem, it seems I damage the file system. Is there any way to go back to the previous system, or repair this error?

Thank you all.

Renzhi Cao
Email : rcrg4 at mail.missouri.edu<https://bluprd0112.outlook.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=HgdIKZwfkkG-ZqHZQdR5l5Qjeol9gdAIEexz2Okb9KSvfYJfxGlJ7wHelHyOveteZCNx50ztf78.&URL=mailto%3arcrg4%40mail.missouri.edu>