[arch-general] doubts about rolling release

Temlin Olivér temlin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 13:29:39 EST 2014

Hello, and welcome to the arch side!

The transitions are made so that if you update often enough and do as the
postinstall scripts and main page tell you to, then the transition goes
easily. Both the systemd and moving to /usr/bin were done almost
automatically (systemd had initscripts support for about a year, now still
there as an option), the other also did have a few-minutes solution to most
problems.
However, there are some packages for which support is weak, usually for
other major distributions not having them adopted yet, eg. bluez 5 was
unusable for about half a year, now Apache 2.4 seems to be the same way,
but these are supported by keeping the old versions in a separate, but
compatible package (eg. bluez4, gtk2).

--Oliver Temlin