[arch-general] Problems of using pacman and updating the filesystem

Bigby James anoknusa at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 01:13:17 EST 2014

On Sat, Mar 08, 2014 at 03:56:28AM +0000, Cao, Renzhi (MU-Student) wrote:
> I plan to use :
> dd if=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1 2>&1 | grep GRUB
> dd if=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1 2>&1 | grep LILO
>
> to check the bootloader I have. I am really new to arch linux, but I want to fix that problem. It seems I almost fix the problem, just solve the lilo and grub-common problem.  If I reinstall arch linux, that could be more difficult for me, and I am afraid of losing my data in the system.
>

> Renzhi Cao
>
> Email : rcrg4 at mail.missouri.edu

Well, obviously you're going to make backups before you go about messing with
highly sensitive parts of your system, especially when using dd, right? And take
my word, and the word of every other Archer for it: If reinstalling by following
the *Beginner's Guide* is too difficult for you, the previously posted, advanced
update guide will be much harder, and Arch is likely not the right distribution
for you.